Gosh I love caffeine, but now it’s asking for a divorce.
I talked it into a separation, yet again.
This is not our first rodeo.
I’ve lived without it before.
I’ve diminished it by drinking tea instead of coffee.
(Yes, “health benefits” are touted for both, but my body has a recurring issue with caffeine.)
Whether I drink it or not, I get fully alert at about 10 a.m. (which, in Ayurveda doshas, is the time when slow heavy Kapha vibration shifts into strong fiery Pitta).
But I want to feel bright before 10 a.m., so I lean on my beloved caffeine (which dehydrates and swings me up and down).
I am once again doing a month without caffeine (naturopathic doctor’s orders), so I’m looking for fresh ideas on how to revitalize naturally.
Here are 15 methods to wake up – backed by research (which I won’t detail much, in favor of brevity).
How to Energize Naturally without Caffeine
- Fresh air and sunlight
- Exercise, cardio, walking
- Ice cold shower
- Drink Lots of Water (Even 1.5% dehydration brings fatigue and poor concentration, especially for women, say the studies at University of Connecticut. See also Watercure.)
- Mint or Ginger herbal teas (I used to puree ginger root with water and drink the juice, which perked me up nicely.)
- Donna Eden 5-minute Energy Routine, Tap K27 meridian points, Cross Crawl; use Wayne Cook pose for concentration
- Breath of Fire and/or Wim Hof’s Power Breath
- GV26 Point under the center of the nose – press one fingertip for 1 minute to be alert
- Fast music – and singing
- Eat an apple (not only good nutrition but also contains Quercetin, an antioxidant which protects brain cells)
- Chia seeds (fiber, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and apparently a natural stimulant??)
- Protein and whole grains at breakfast are suggested
- Aromatherapy – smell Peppermint, Rosemary, Citrus, Cinnamon, or Jasmine. Use a diffuser or put a few drops in your palms, rub together and inhale. (A drop of Peppermint at the nape of my neck revived me well.)
- Energizing Yoga poses: bridge, chair, triangle, fish pose, camel
What do you think?
Please throw in more ideas of how to enliven yourself?
(Is Chia stimulating?? Just curious.)
I’m game to try more . . .
Diane Stallings RN does distance healing, EFT tapping, and/or Biofield Tuning on the phone, energy healing sessions, Chakra Balancing, and health coaching. She gives you practical ways to lift your wellbeing. Make an appointment in Phoenix or Fountain Hills or on the phone anywhere.