Popeye was a funky-looking guy with massive forearms and a skinny body, but damn, he was right! He’s “strong to the finish when he eats his spinach” – and so are you.
The rare 10% of Americans who get their daily 3 cups of plants/veggies/fruit are the strongest healthy people.
Catch the habit of filling HALF of your plate with plants at every meal.
Your body will absolutely love you for this! You will love how you feel.
What are the superpowers of veggies?
- Fruits and veggies provide vitamin A and vitamin C which give your body the super powers to resist infections, heal wounds, keep your gums healthy, nurture your skin and your eyes.
- Eating plenty of plants could drop your blood pressure up to 14 points. In many cases a heavy plant diet is as effective as a pharmaceutical to lower blood pressure. Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
- Raw veggies are prebiotics: they support good digestion and a strong immune system. They provide fiber which is vital for a healthy colon and good elimination Veggies help your microbiota thrive, which keeps you healthy in tons of ways.
Artichokes, peas, avocados, lima beans and jicama are especially high in fiber.
- Veggies keep your blood vessels strong and reduce the risk of strokes and heart disease by about 30% (according to 20 studies done on people who ate three cups of veggies per day). This is a BIG DEAL. Reduce your risk by 30%!
- Magnesium, found in the chlorophyll of leafy greens, helps manage our blood sugar. Some studies have credited greens with reducing the incidence of type 2 diabetes. (Most of us are depleted in magnesium and overloaded on its antagonist, calcium – see info here. We are over-calcified.)
- Leafy greens contain lutein and zeaxanthin which are needed in the retinas and lenses of our eyes. Studies show that eating plenty of greens gives you a 40% lower risk of macular degeneration and 18% lower risk of cataracts.
- Veggies help your bones. In an international study elders who ate several servings of veggies a day had fewer hip fractures (by 12%) than those who ate only one veggie a day.
- Veggies reduce the risk of estrogen-negative breast cancer by about 15%.
(This is the less common breast cancer but it has low survival rates. Eat veggies and reduce your risk.)
- An abundance of Potassium is essential for good health and strength in every cell of your body! Potassium is found in all veggies but especially sweet potatoes, Swiss chard, coconut water, tomato juice, and yes, spinach! Thank you, Popeye!
- Fruits and veggies are alkaline foods, which are important to balance out all the acidity in our diet and in our stressful life.
- Veggies have almost no calories (compared to other foods – provided you don’t smother them in sauces) – so they keep your weight down!
Yet they are super high in vitamins and nutrients!
What’s not to love??
Your body THRIVES on plants.
Cover half your plate with plants!
Some of the most nutrient dense veggies are:
How to get more veggies?
*Try cauliflower “pizza crust,” cauliflower “rice,” and grilled cauliflower steaks.
*In place of pasta, shred zucchini or use spaghetti squash (it is “noodles” already).
*Use lettuce wraps instead of tortillas.
*For a snack, grab your veggie tray!
*Drink a little green smoothie each day. (with a caveat)
What’s your favorite way to get more veggies?
Thanks to “Center For Science in the Public Interest” for many of the above notes.
Diane does Biofield Tuning, Chakra Balancing, energy healing, health coaching, and gives you practical ways to lift your wellbeing. Make a appointment in Phoenix or Fountain Hills. Inquire about our free meditation classes in Fountain Hills.
(Thanks to Flickr for this image – brings me back to my youth.)