Get your greens and feel great! Fill half your blender with your choice of organic leafy greens, cucumber, herbs, seasonings, a cup or two of water, and whip it. You can add any edible raw veggie. Some people add fresh fruit as well. (For specific ideas see below.)
As you pour your beautiful daily smoothie into your tall 16 oz glass, remember to “chew” your drink. The digestive enzymes start in the mouth. So you’ll benefit more if you chew.
The joys are too numerous to count:
– Raw plants contain living enzymes to support better digestion.
– Fresh raw juices help to heal and strengthen your liver.* (The liver weakens as we age.)
– The fiber sweeps clean and helps in healing your digestive tract.
– Over time, daily green smoothies can improve blood pressure, cholesterol, and more.**
– Eating more plants will shift your body away from acids toward a more alkaline state, for good health. (When the body is too acidic, fat stays on, water puffs us up, diseases and cancers arise easier.)
– Daily green smoothies can restore healthy stomach acid** (which fades as we age), thus:
– better absorption of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients (less need for B-12 shots).
– fewer of the typical diseases of ‘old age.’
– reduced chances of digestive infections and/or parasites – because of good stomach acid.
– A green juice fast may cure diabetes and other degenerative diseases.***
– For the best health, we would choose our food to be 50% to 80% fresh plants (not the S.A.D. Standard American Diet, but more enriched energized plants). The daily green smoothie is a great way to move toward this goal.
– The human body simply feels GOOD after chewing and drinking a green smoothie!
*The Liver Cleansing Diet by Dr. Sandra Cabot, 1996
** Roseburg Study, mentioned by Victoria Boutenko in Green for Life, 2005
***There is a Cure for Diabetes by Dr Gabriel Cousens MD, 2008
Enjoy a wide variety of greens and herbs – spice your life and have fun with it.
Veggies abound with life-giving nutrients, plus some protein. 45% of the calories in kale come from protein. Spinach and broccoli are each about 45% too. Wow.
A large green drink in the morning may keep you going till lunch.
If you need to make your smoothie ahead of time, it will keep up to three days in the fridge, or longer in the freezer.
Ingredients? Keep it mostly green, your choice of:
Arugula, Asparagus, Beet greens, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Carrot tops, Celery, Chard, Collard greens, Dandelion greens, Endive, Kale, Mustard greens, Radish tops, Romaine, Spinach, Sea weeds -Avocado, Bell pepper, Cabbage, Carrots, Red onion, Tomatoes, any fresh veggie you like –
Aloe, Basil, Chia seeds, Cilantro, Dill, Fennel, Flaxseed, Garlic, Ginger root, Mint, Parsley, Sprouts of all sorts –
apple, apricot, banana, blueberries, grapes, kiwi, lemon, lime, mango, orange, peach, strawberries, and such – (A steady intake of green apples is great for reducing gallbladder pain and gallstones! See liver cleanse post.)
If you are drinking green to release toxins from your body, then you will use veggies but no fruits in your smoothie. There are many proponents of the Green Juice Fast, from Paul Bragg of the 1950’s (who taught nutrition to young Jack LaLanne), to modern-day Elson Haas MD (The False Fat Diet) and many other doctors and naturopaths.
Dr. Gabriel Cousens MD at his Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center in Patagonia, Arizona, has helped many people resolve major illnesses, particularly diabetes, through his holistic approach and by fasting on nothing but green drinks for 7+ days. His basic recipe is 75% cucumber or celery, 25% leafy greens, then double it with water. (The pulp has a laxative effect, so you may strain it out, as needed.) His standard smoothie may contain
spinach, kale, collards, cilantro, lemon, ginger, bell peppers.
A green juice fast can be strenuous, but in releasing toxins, you will likely feel better than you have in years. This is my experience, and many friends have enjoyed the same. For more scoop, see my post Lose Toxins, or look for books by Bragg, Haas, and Cousens, as mentioned above.
Meanwhile, enjoy life and GO FOR THE GREEN!