Conventional Medicine does not know the cause of autoimmune diseases, and treats only the symptoms – not very well, at that. (They claim you have to live with it, but this ain’t necessarily so.)
Naturopathic and Functional Medicine now understand that most of our “autoimmune” diseases actually arise from intestinal permeability (leaky gut, borderline celiac disease). This leads to gluten sensitivity, subtle food allergies, and subsequent inflammation anywhere in the body. When this digestive issue is treated, usually the autoimmune disease symptoms are relieved. (For more in-depth explanation see my posts on Leaky Gut and Subtle Allergies.)
Autoimmune diseases include but are not limited to:
Scleroderma, systemic sclerosis
Colitis and Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome
You must know that Western Medicine is very attached to lab tests and proving a diagnosis. The lab tests for leaky gut and subtle food allergies may cost $500. For this reason, doctors in Britain often make the diagnosis based on symptoms, not on the pricey lab tests. They will go ahead and treat the person without doing the lab tests. If the treatment helps the person, that in itself is considered a definitive diagnosis.
This means you can feel free to follow these directions (below) and relieve your own symptoms. It is all about your diet and supplements of your choice. You may begin with ALL these recommendations, or you may wish to choose the ones that resonate for you. Stick to your new plan for One Month.
As you change your foods, you will release toxins. Because of toxin release, you may or may not have: headache, flu feelings, fever/chills, colds, skin eruptions, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, nervousness, irritability. Drink plenty of water (3 quarts or more per day), and you may have fewer of the above issues. See Watercure.
Many people begin to feel better as soon as they change foods and drink the watercure.
By the end of your month, you will likely feel better and realize that this path is for you.
- Go gluten-free, chemical-free. Stop all gluten grains: Wheat, rye, barley, oats. AND avoid flavorings, colorings, additives, preservatives, vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is usually okay.
- Stop eating the most common allergens: peanuts, eggs, soy, all dairy products, wheat, corn, and sugar. (An Elimination Diet or Juice Fast is a more rigorous way to find your allergens.)
- Rotate your foods so that you do not eat any item within 3 days of the last time you ate it. For instance, for 24 hours you may eat chicken – then stay away from it for 3 days, and on the 4th day you may eat it again. (Why? to avoid the start-up of new food allergies.)
- Try Food-Combining. Basic concept is to 1) eat fruit only by itself, not combining it with any grains or meats, 2) do not combine flesh food (fish, poultry, meat) with grains, beans, or carbs. This means that your plate can be: veggies, grains, and beans OR veggies with meat/fish/poultry. (Breakfast suggestion is to graze on fruits and raw almonds. Food Combining often brings immediate relief of heartburn, bloating, abdominal discomfort.)
- Gradually move toward filling 80% of your plate with plants. This increases healthy alkaline balance and reduces acidity (which contributes to so many ailments). Fresh whole raw plants also give us more digestive enzymes, a boon to better health.
- Drink celtic-salt water to clear toxins, reduce acidity, rehydrate at cellular level, and reduce bodily aches-pains. (Celtic salt or Real Salt is high in many trace minerals, and is quite healthy for us. The only exception: if you have kidney insufficiency or kidney failure, don’t use salt.)
- For natural gut restoration take: Vit D3, Selenium, Zinc, Fish oil, fiber, digestive enzymes, probiotics (lactobacillus,acidophilus, bifidobacterium, etc, preferably in large doses twice a day), L-glutamine, magnesium, mucilaginous herbs (aloe vera, slippery elm, marshmellow root, licorice root, flaxseed, chia seeds), anti-inflammatory herbs (curcumin, bromelain, ginger, boswellia, tumeric). No, you don’t have to take them all – but each is helpful. Which ones seem reasonable for you? For sure you need probiotics – and yucca juice is highly recommended.
- Drink diluted yucca juice extract to heal the inner lining of intestines. Excellent stuff!!
- Ingesting Bentonite clay (liquid or capsules) helps eliminate more toxins from the body.
Down the road a bit, you can do some fasting to release more toxins, but don’t concern yourself with that just yet. Also understand that it took years for your body to get into its weakened state, and it may take time to strengthen it. However within some months or a couple of years, you may resolve some of your subtle food allergies and be able to eat those foods again without any inflammatory response.
As ever, the ability to de-stress and relax is a huge help on the road to great health. Have some fun every day. Have some peace and contentment every day. Meditation can lift away stress like nothing else. Float downstream.
See also Powerful Cure Yucca Juice? Worth it!
Diane Stallings RN does personal Meridian Tapping sessions by phone or video chat, Distance Biofield Tuning by phone or in-person, Chakra Balancing, and health coaching. She gives you practical ways to lift your wellbeing. Make an appointment here.