First off, if you already have a beginning cold or flu, try OSHA Root extract (Ligusticum porteri) from your local health food store. Take one dropper full, in a small amount of water or juice, three times a day. (One dropper full is about the number of recommended drops listed on the label.) You are likely to find significant improvement even by the end of the first day. Keep using it for several days, if needed, until you feel good.
Many people get great results with Oscillococcinum homeopathic pellets, taken at the first hint of flu-like symptoms. (Find Oscillo at any drugstore.)
The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. While you are still healthy, take the following steps to prevent proliferation of the flu.
1. Frequent hand-washing.
2. “Hands-off-the-face” approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe or kiss ;-).
3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don’t trust salt). Flu takes 2 to 3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. Don’t underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.
4. Similar to #3 above, clean your nostrils at least once a day with warm salt water. The easiest 5-minute way to do this is with a Neti Pot (also known as SinuCleanse or other brands at your drugstore). This kind of sinus irrigation pours into one nostril and out the other, as you lean over your sink. Even if you don’t use a Neti Pot, blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is somewhat effective in bringing down viral population.
5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C tablets with Zinc will boost absorption.
6. Drink as many warm liquids as you can. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling. It washes off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive or do any harm.
If you want to boost your overall resistance to all germs, consider strengthening your digestive system. Believe it our not, 70% to 80% of our immune system arises from the gut. See my posts on
Intestinal Permeability and Subtle Food Allergies. You’ll find that after you clear out toxins and heal the gut, your immunity becomes strong enough to repel practically all colds and flu.